Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Sleep Monster!

So our little Brooks has become a little sleep Monster!  I take that back!  He has become a BIG sleep monster!  I cannot remember the last night when I got even a halfway decent night's sleep!  He is an ANGEL during the day, but something about nightfall brings out the worst in him.  Maybe he is part ware-wolf!  Anyways...Regardless, he is still my sweet pea!  If I am honest though, I must admit that I am ready for this sleep pattern to come to an end so that I can have a sleep pattern of my own.  As of right now all I have is a wake pattern with cat naps in between! 

Today was his 6 month well-check visit.  We missed his 4 month well-check because he was so sickly with RSV.  I at first blamed his all nighters on that horrible virus, but as it got better, the sleeping got worse!  He goes to bed just fine on his own around 9pm every night.  He even wants his own space and truly gets mad almost on the dot 9:00 if you have not laid him down yet.  But sometime, around 11:30, Mr. werewolf shows and the inconsolable crying begins.  He seems like he is in such pain until he can't fight sleep any longer.  Unfortunately that doesn't happen till around 5 am.  He arches his back and screams till on many occasions he becomes hoarse.  I hate to see him like that!  We changed him to Soy formula to see if that would help...and it did!  For a little while.      :(   We were soon back to sleepless in Seattle...well...Hendersonville!

 Anyways...This is my 3rd little child plus I am a nurse.  That almost makes me an expert, right?  WRONG!  I am learning new things everyday with this little guy!  And he confuses me more than any of my other babies.   Although really the feeding and sleeping department is our main issues.  I have had trouble with my supply of breast milk as soon as I returned to work.  I started him on baby food at 4 months, but took him off at 5 months thinking it was the culprit.  I switched him to Soy.  Confused on what else to do I have given him every medicine you can think of.  Simethicone, teething tablets, colic tablets, Motrin, Tylenol, etc.

I tried everything except for this.  The Dr. said today that he thinks he has reflux and that this may be Brooks' answer!  I so hope so.  My mother-in-law had mentioned reflux at some point but I didn't think it was the cause and quickly moved to what i thought was "maybe" constipation.  The Dr. said that babies don't even have to "spit-up" to have reflux.  They can just feel the acid in their bellies and it causes pain.  Looking back at it now, he has always required a burp cloth more than my other two boys.  And there was those couple of nights when he seemed to choke every time I'd lay him down.   Plus, the more tired I got the more I would feed him while he would be lying flat on the bed.  I didn't worry bc it was constipation after all right?  Well...If it truly is reflux then I should have ensured that he was fed while sitting up as straight as can be and then kept him inclined for a while.  Needless to say he will be doing those two things from now on! 
 
In other news, the Brookster weighed in at a whopping 17 pounds even!  Surprisingly though that still is around the 35 percentile.  He just looks so chunky in this picture!  Chunky and Cute that's for sure!
He was such a good little babe the office!  He thoroughly enjoyed the paper on the exam table!  It must be the noise it made as he crinkled it to pieces.
 
With Parker at school, Easton and I got to enjoy some cuddle time.  He also was such a good little guy at the doctor's!  He sat in my lap and snuggled the entire time until Brooks was examined! 
 
UPDATE
 
Just a little update...I wrote the above post on Monday.  It is now Wednesday and for the past 2 nights...drum roll please...Brooks has slept so good!  Like AMAZINGLY GOOD!  He only woke up at 3am to eat and then fell back to sleep easily!  Please pray that this little guy has found his cure!  I hate that he has suffered so for the past few months (if this really is the answer) when there has been an easy solution all along.  `

No comments:

Post a Comment